Act as a point of contact for clients, staff, donors, and other community members. Essential to the operation of Pillars, the front desk assistant greets visitors & clients, answers & directs phone calls, monitors the lobby, provides donation intake & assistance, along with other administrative tasks as needed. This is an ongoing and recurring volunteer opportunity. Attention: this volunteer happens at the Resource Center at 129 S. Mason St, not the Adult and Family Shelter.
- Monitor the front door ensuring everyone who enters signs in & out
- Greet everyone that enters the building, asking if they need assistance
- Answer & direct phone calls from clients, donors, and community members
- Update the shelter wait list as people call for to check-in
- Provide clients with requested items through the voucher program
- Provide receipts and write thank-you notes to community donors
- Train new volunteers as they are onboard
Commitment: Below is a general requirement for volunteering as a front desk assistant. However, it is subject to change due to many Lawrentians' tight schedules. It can be flexible.
· 2-3-hour shift minimum from 8am-4pm at Pillars Resource Center (Monday-Friday)
How to Volunteer:
If it is your first time volunteering as a front desk assistant:
1. Become a volunteer first by attending a Volunteer Orientation. Sign up through the first link under the Requirement Detail box. Orientation is the best time to get all questions clarified and training arranged.
2. After you have become an official volunteer at Pillars and want to volunteer as a front desk assistant. Click on the second link under the Requirement Detail box to check available time slots for volunteering.
3. After deciding on which day to volunteer, sign up through the link
4. Register on this GivePulse page by clicking on the top green icon. You will be asked about when will you volunteer and if you have completed the necessary requirements to volunteer as a front desk assistant. It is okay if you do not know how to get started, just email email@example.com.
5. It is really IMPORTANT to follow these steps as a first-time volunteer. These steps are necessary to keep clear communication between Lawrence and Pillars, ensuring your volunteer experience to be comfortable and fun.
When you have already volunteered as a front desk assistant before and you know how to volunteer at Pillars. And you just want to know how to record your hours:
1. Click on the second link under the Requirement Detail box to check available time slots for volunteering.
2. After deciding on which day to volunteer, sign up through the link
3. When you finish volunteering, you can click Add Impacts to record your volunteer hours.
Transportation: LU service shuttles are available for both individuals and student groups doing ff campus service. The shuttle runs every Sat and Sun from 9 am to 5 pm. To submit a service shuttle request click here https://www.lawrence.edu/students/volunteer/student-orgs/shuttle. You should fill out this form even if you are volunteering as an individual who needs transportation so the drivers know to pick you up. Please do so at least 7 days ahead to secure seating.
-Pass a background check (during the orientation, details about a background check can be clarified directly).
- Check the link to see the most recently updated possible volunteer shifts and sign up for shifts. https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090e45afa92ca4fd0-adult5
- Shadow an existing front desk assistant at Pillars or receive training so you can feel comfortable by yourself.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com for any questions.
- Good customer service, professional manner, patience, and problem-solving skills
- Detail-oriented, organized
- Comfortable answering phones